I know Halloween is over-but it is still Fall which completely justifies this recipe! My creative friend Jeannine makes this amazing caramel corn. I take my popcorn VERY seriously so when she offered me a sample that she’d made for a party I hesitantly accepted and then humbly asked for more (and the recipe)! It’s the kind of caramel that crunchily coats each popped corn kernel. It’s not dry or so hard that you need dental work afterwards. What I’m trying to say is this caramel corn is something I plan to eat in heaven alongside my bowl of cookie dough-of course.
This recipe comes with a caution: If you make this plan on sharing with neighbors, friends and family. Otherwise you’ll feel like a fat pig after consuming most of the yield yourself after the kids are in bed. Not that I know what’s that like or anything…
Let me know if you make it and how it turns out!
Thanks to Jeannine Hill
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5 quarts popcorn (about ¾ to 1 cup unpopped kernels) in extra-large bowl
Preheat oven 250’F.
- Melt butter in medium sauce pan. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt.
- Bring to boil stirring constantly.
- Boil 4 more minutes not stirring.
- Remove from heat.
- Add baking soda and vanilla.
- Pour over popcorn, stir until well coated and dump into a large roasting pan.
- Bake 1 hr stirring every 15 min.
- Allow to cool, then devour (or share with others).